Appeal a social security benefits decision (Notice of appeal)

Published date21 March 2018
Subject MatterSocial Security and Child Support forms
Benef‌it appeal form
If you are appealing another benef‌it decision then you need to use a different appeal form.
Find the right form at:‌it-decision
Use this form to appeal against a decision about Personal Independence Payment (PIP),
Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit (UC).
Page 1
Benef‌it appeal form (PIP/ESA/UC) (12.20) © Crown copyright 2020
Your appeal will be decided by an independent tribunal. They are separate from DWP.
Before you start
You need the following information to f‌ill in this form:
Your Mandatory Reconsideration Notice (MRN)
In some cases, you do not need to ask for mandatory reconsideration. If this applies to you, the letter
received from the DWP with your benef‌it decision will tell you this. You will f‌ind this information in the
‘if you disagree with a decision’ section of your letter from the DWP.
Details of your representative (if you have one)
If you have someone helping you with your appeal then you can register them as your ‘representative’.
For example, someone from your local advice centre, law centre or Citizens Advice.
Reasons for your appeal
The reasons you disagree with DWP’s decision. You can write as much as you want.
Help and support
You can ask someone who knows about the benef‌its system to help you with your appeal. For example, someone from
your local advice centre, law centre or Citizens Advice. You could also ask a friend or family member.
If you have any questions about the benef‌it appeals service then phone the HMCTS Benef‌it appeal helpline on the
number below. The helpline call agents cannot give you legal advice.
England and Wales: 0300 123 1142. Scotland: 0141 354 8400. Welsh language speakers: 0300 303 5170.
Appeal online
You can submit your appeal online. That means you do not
have to f‌ill in and post this form. You can also save your appeal
application and return to it in your own time.
Go to:‌it-decision
This form is available in other formats
You can download this form in large print or Welsh:
security-benef‌its-decision-form-sscs1. If you need it in Braille then phone: 0300 123 1142.
HM Courts & Tribunals Service
Social Security and Child Support Tribunal

To continue reading

Request your trial

VLEX uses login cookies to provide you with a better browsing experience. If you click on 'Accept' or continue browsing this site we consider that you accept our cookie policy. ACCEPT