1. The provisions of this schedule are to be read and construed subject in all respects to the provisions of the Electric Lighting Acts, and of any other Acts or parts of Acts incorporated therewith, and those Acts and parts of Acts are in this schedule collectively referred to as ‘the principal Act’; and the several words, terms, and expressions to which by the principal Act meanings are assigned, shall have in this schedule the same respective meanings, provided that in this schedule—
The expression ‘the Special Order’ means any Provisional Order made by the Board of Trade under the principal Act with which the provisions of this schedule are incorporated and includes those provisions as so incorporated:
The expression ‘energy’ means electrical energy, and for the purposes of applying the provisions of the principal Act to the Special Order electrical energy shall be deemed to be an agency within the meaning of electricity as defined in the Electric Lighting Act, 1882:
The expression ‘power’ means electrical power or the rate per unit of time at which energy is supplied:
The expression ‘main’ means any electric line which may be laid down by the Undertakers in any street or public place, and through which energy may be supplied or intended to be supplied by the Undertakers for the purposes of general supply:
The expression ‘service line’ means any electric line through which energy may be supplied or intended to be supplied by the Undertakers to a consumer either from any main or directly from the premises of the Undertakers:
The expression ‘distributing main’ means the portion of any main which is used for the purpose of giving origin to service lines for the purposes of general supply:
The expression ‘general supply’ means the general supply of energy to ordinary consumers, and includes, unless otherwise specially agreed with the local authority, the general supply of energy to the public lamps, where the local authority are not themselves the Undertakers, but shall not include the supply of energy to any one or more particular consumers under special agreement:
The expression ‘area of supply’ means the area within which the Undertakers are, for the time being, authorised to supply energy under the Special Order:
The expression ‘county council’ means the county council of the county in which the area of supply is situated:
The expression ‘consumer’ means any body or person supplied or entitled to be supplied with energy by the Undertakers:
The expression ‘consumer's terminals’ means the ends of the electric lines situate upon any consumer's premises and belonging to him, at which the supply of energy is delivered from the service lines:
The expression ‘telegraphic line,’ when used with respect to any telegraphic line of the Postmaster-General, has the same meaning as in the Telegraph Act, 1878, and any such telegraphic line shall be deemed to be injuriously affected where telegraphic communication by means of that line is, whether through induction or otherwise, in any manner affected:
The expression ‘railway’ includes any tramroad, that is to say, any tramway other than a tramway as herein-after defined:
The expression ‘tramway’ means any tramway laid along any street:
The expression ‘daily penalty’ means a penalty for each day on which any offence is continued after conviction therefor:
The expression ‘Board of Trade regulations’ means any regulations or conditions affecting the undertaking made by the Board of Trade under the principal Act or the Special Order, for securing the safety of the public or for insuring a proper and sufficient supply of energy:
The expression ‘deposited map’ means the map of the area of supply deposited at the Board of Trade by the Undertakers together with the Special Order, and signed by an assistant secretary to the Board of Trade:
The expression ‘plan’ means a plan drawn to a horizontal scale of at least one inch to eighty-eight feet, and where possible a section drawn to the same horizontal scale as the plan and to a vertical scale of at least one inch to eleven feet, or to such other scale as the Board of Trade may approve of for both plan and section, together with such detail plan and sections as may be necessary.
Provisions as to Undertakers.
2 Description of Undertakers.
(1) The Undertakers shall be the authority, company, or other person named for that purpose in the Special Order.
(2) (2.) If, in a case where the Undertakers are not the local authority, the undertaking or any part thereof is at any time purchased by the local authority in accordance with the Special Order or the principal Act the local authority shall from the date on which the purchase takes effect be the Undertakers in relation to the undertaking or part thereof for the purposes of the Special Order in lieu of the persons mentioned therein as Undertakers.
3 Undertakers not to purchase other undertakings.
(1)3.—(1.) The Undertakers shall not purchase or acquire the undertaking of or associate themselves with any company or person supplying energy under any licence, Provisional Order, or Special Act, unless the Undertakers are authorised by Parliament to do so.
(2) (2.) If in contravention of this section the Undertakers purchase or acquire any such undertaking, or associate themselves with any such other company or person, the Board of Trade may, if they think fit, revoke the Special Order upon such terms as they think just.
Area of Supply.
4 Area of supply and prohibition of supply beyond area.
(1) 4.—(1.) The area of supply shall be the area named for that purpose in the Special Order.
(2) (2.) The Undertakers shall not at any time after the commencement of the Special Order supply energy or (except for the purposes of that Order) erect or lay down any electric lines or works beyond the area of supply otherwise than under the authority of Parliament, or under a licence granted by the Board of Trade under the principal Act.
(3) (3.) If the Undertakers supply energy or erect or lay down electric lines or works in contravention of this section, the Board of Trade may, if they think fit, revoke the Special Order on such terms as they think just.
Security and Accounts.
5 Security for, execution of works.
5. The following provisions shall apply as to giving security in cases where the Undertakers are not a local authority:—
(1) (1.) The Undertakers within a period of six months after the commencement of the Special Order, and before exercising any of the powers conferred by that Order on them in relation to the execution of works, shall show to the satisfaction of the Board of Trade that they are in a position fully and efficiently to discharge the duties and obligations imposed upon them by that Order throughout the area of supply.
(2) (2.) The Undertakers shall also, within six months after the commencement of the Special Order, or within such extended period as may be approved by the Board of Trade, and before exercising any of the powers conferred on them in relation to the execution of works, deposit or secure to the satisfaction of the Board of Trade such sum as may be fixed by the Special Order, or, if not so fixed, by the Board of Trade.
(3) (3.) If the Undertakers fail to show to the satisfaction of the Board of Trade within any such period as...