a guide for people acting without a solicitor (PA2)

Published date21 March 2018
Subject MatterProbate forms and guidance
Page 1
How to apply for probate –
A guide for people applying without a solicitor
Applying for the legal right to deal with someone’s property, money and possessions
(their ‘estate’) when they die is called ‘applying for probate’.
If the person left a will, you’ll get a ‘grant of probate’. If the person did not leave a
will, you’ll get ‘letters of administration’.
You may not need probate if the person who died:
had jointly owned land, property, shares or money – they will automatically
pass to the surviving owners
only had small savings or premium bonds
Contact each asset holder (for example a bank or mortgage company) to find out if
you’ll need probate to get access to assets. Every organisation has its own rules.
You can order extra copies of the probate document so you can send it to different
organisations at the same time.
The process is different in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Contact the inheritance tax
and probate helpline for advice.

To continue reading

Request your trial

VLEX uses login cookies to provide you with a better browsing experience. If you click on 'Accept' or continue browsing this site we consider that you accept our cookie policy. ACCEPT